Cusco, Peru

After the Inca Trail, we headed back to Cusco and got ready for dinner and what we though was going to be a night out in honor of Brittany’s last night. Since we were nearly falling asleep at dinner of absolute exhaustion, we decided to enjoy our meal and skip the going out part.

We got up early the next morning to have breakfast with Brittany before she headed to the airport to catch a flight. As we have learned throughout our traveling so far, parting ways is one of the least desired parts of the experience. We had such an incredible time as trio and were sad to see her go but I think we may have convinced her to reunite with us in Patagonia this coming fall!


After Brittany left, Farima and I checked out of the hotel and headed to another hostel, Millhouse, known for its social scene. We spent the rest of the day catching up on small errands, doing laundry, and face-timing with family members and friends — especially since my twin nieces were born! That night, we grabbed drinks at the hostel and then headed to a club called Temple. Though it was fun at first, it started to get so overcrowded that it became uncomfortable. It was beyond hot inside and the entire area filled with cigarette smoke, which is never fun and makes it difficult for those who don’t to breathe. The club was also almost all guys, making Farima and I a rare commodity, we even had to pretend to be together to avoid the unwanted attention. And that’s when we decided to leave.

The next morning, one of the hostel employees was offering a free walking tour around the city. We visited the San Pedro Market on the tour, which Farima and I had already explored, but were given more explanation to certain spices and items sold in the market. They even sold a spice at the market that works similar to Viagra. On the tour, they told us that it is considered rude to bargain on any food products in the market but okay to do so on clothing and artisanal crafts. We then visited a children’s school where I learned that public schools in Cusco are strictly boy or girl schools and the only co-ed ones are private. We also got to taste a local dish called causa, which is basically layers of mashed potato with various fillings (ours had avocado). Our last stop on the tour was San Blas, a small part of town lined with Inca stone and coffee shops overlooking the city of Cusco. Overall, I found the tour to be informative and very interesting.


Later that same day, we ran into Fleur – a friend we had met earlier in Colombia – and made plans to meet up later that night. That night also happened to be our friend Fabio’s birthday, so the whole crew – Fleur, Farima, Mark, Dan, Alaina, and I – went to a bar/club called Mama Africa’s.

The next day we had lunch with our friend Scottee, who we had met at our hostel. After lunch, Farima and I headed to San Blas with our laptops to enjoy a cup a coffee with a view and do some writing. We headed back to the hostel around 4 pm, relaxed and watched a movie and then caught a night bus to Arequipa.




Edited by: Farima M.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *